Tuesday, 17 May 2011

Bobbles!


I love bobbles. It all started when a special someone brought me the Jan Eaton 200 squares book. If you haven't seen it (which i cant believe if you are into crochet at all, its plastered on all sorts of blogs), get it! I hadn't been crocheting long when i was given the book but found it pushed me to try different patterns and stitches that perhaps i would not have tried otherwise. I have made some gorgeous blankets using it and i am hoping to start another one soon! (Look back through my posts if you are interested in seeing them).

Anyway, one of my favourite squares from the book is "colourful bobbles". When searching through the internet and looking and blogs i came across the following...

http://www.maybematilda.com/2011/04/crochet-baby-blanket-ruffles-and-dots.html

I think the bobble blanket shown here is gorgeous! I love it! It inspired me to start my own, but if you know me at all you would know i wouldn't be content doing a blanket in just one plain colour. (although i do love the classy look of the one on the blog, so i may try a plain one too!)

So pushed on my hubby, i have started my own, colourful bobbles blanket!!








I have not done much yet as you can see, but i am loving the way its looking! I was given some really lovely cream aran wool and thought it would be perfect for this. I am using ordinary acrylic double knit yarns for the bobbles (some devoted crocheters will probably cringe at this but i dont care), and i am loving the bright colours! Its a bit bigger than i originally intended but hey ho! I shall embrace the bobbles!!

I am not sure what edge to do around it yet, whether to stay simple with some single crochets in cream or in colours, or a nice slightly frilly edge like the one i saw in Maybe Matilda's blog. I will experiment with this when i get to that point. It feels like its taking ages but its just having to change colours for the bobbles. I am also cheating a little bit as the original bobble pattern from the Jan Eaton book is made using single crochet with the bobbles made of 4 trebbles together, but i am using trebbles for the main part of the blanket. This is because basically i am impatient. Single crochet seems to take forever to grow, and i think the trebbles looks fine. If you would like a less 'holier' look then use single crochet. When i get a chance i will post a little tutorial on how to make this blanket.

Also coming soon... It is our 2nd wedding anniversary next Monday!! Hooray! Another year already, i cant believe it! (I think my first ever post on here was about our wedding) I have made him something for one of his presents which i would like to show you, however i cant show you until i've given him the gift. Just in case he takes a random look at my blog!

There's some lovely blogs going on at the moment, and one i have found recently is Tangled Happy. You may have seen it, it features tutorials and inspiration from other fantastic blogs. My very own mother in law Linda has been featured on there with her snake tutorial!

Better go, but as always, please feel free to leave comments! I love reading them. So if you have found some great blogs you think i'll like, or have experimented with the bobble stitch, let me know!!

6 comments:

  1. Love your bobbles too ! I once knitted a jumper with bobbles on
    Good luck with it
    Sue x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your bobbles look fabulous! :)
    Caz

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loving your blog ! Those bobbles look really great! Going to do a bit of blog hopping to have a look at Mathildas blog! I also have a little bit of special hooky stuff under wraps!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. hi i also love your bobbles I am a avid crochet lover and feel ashamed that i haven't come across the book you have mentioned but i will now

    ReplyDelete
  5. Colorful bobbles... Thats fun! Thank you for you kind words about Tangled Happy. How nice of you to share a link. Wishing you a happy weekend. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Today I received my first 'Blog Award' part of it involves passing it on, I always enjoy your Blog so you are one of my chosen few! Thank you for always being so generous with your time . Love Linda

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear your comments so keep 'em coming!! Feel free to post links to your own blogs if you think i'll like them too!