Thursday, 27 March 2014

Little boys, granny stripe blanket


As you can see, i have been busy hooking... lots and lots of granny stripes!! And then more granny stripes!

These two blankets are destined for two baby boys here in Dubai, who's mums really liked the 'nautical' colour scheme. Its a lovely pattern to use as once you get going you don't have to think too much about it, and it grows quite quickly. Somehow i managed to get each of these done in just over a week! That's probably my quickest work yet! 

So if you would like to have a go, here is the method i used below...




I used a 3.5mm hook and Double Knitting weight yarn. I think it probably used about 700g of yarn. To begin, chain the width you would like your blanket, it should be in multiples of 3. For these blankets that are about 80cm square, i did a beginning chain of 120.


Foundation row: In 4th chain from hook, make one treble. *Skip next 2 chains, in next chain make 3 trebbles*. Repeat from * to * until you reach the end of the row. In the last chain just make 2 trebbles instead of 3.

This gives you a foundation to go from and it is pretty easy from here...

Row 1: Chain 3, make 3 trebles in space between treble clusters of foundation row. Continue making treble clusters in the spaces for the length of the row. When you reach the end of the row, finish with one trebble in the top of the last trebble stitch of the previous row.

Row 2: Chain 3 (first treble), treble in same first stitch, make 3 trebles in space of last row and repeat until end of row. In last space, just make 2 trebles.

Row 3: As Row 1.

Repeat Rows 2 and 3 until your blanket is the length you would like it to be.

I chose a simple border to finish the blanket off, using rows of trebbles and a 'v' stitch for the last border row. When working the first row of border, i put a treble in each stitch across the width and 3 trebles across each 2 rows down the sides. Does that make sense? So in my blankets, i changed colours every two rows, so on each set of colours i made 3 trebles down the side. Just play around with what works for you, it will probably make sense when you actually do it!






Well i hope the pattern makes sense to you, im not great at tutorials, as i just try to describe it how it is in my head. haha. I really enjoyed making these blankets and they were great projects to do while curled up watching a film or something. I have enlisted Williams help now, yes child labour starts at 2 years old in my house.... he fetches me the next colour i need! Its educational for him... learning colours... *cough cough*...

I hope you are all well, we had a bit of rain here in Dubai yesterday so everything is feeling a bit fresher this morning, the weather change is coming and it is getting hotter and hotter. Most days now are reaching around 30oC.

Im getting quite a bit of crafting done at the moment, so will be back again soon! Please let me know what you guys are up to at the moment! I love to read your comments and check out your blogs too!


3 comments:

  1. The blanket(s) look wonderful and bright! I love the nautical/British/US colour theme too ;) I'm sure the mom's will really be happy with the work you've put into these. Not much crafting happening in my house. I've just been knitting a few mittens and hats for charity lately, but not very exciting stuff. Enjoy your hot weather ... we're stuck at -10C although it "feels" like spring out there! Wendy x

    ReplyDelete
  2. The colours are great!!! Just right for boys. You did so well to do them so fast - really amazing! Thanks for the tutorial, it is interesting to read and see how other people do things - and usually for me to realise where I am going wrong! - but it all helps to improve our knowledge. xx

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear your comments so keep 'em coming!! Feel free to post links to your own blogs if you think i'll like them too!