Monday, 28 April 2014

Apple cake with cinnamon crust!

William and I have been baking this morning, and made ourselves a delicious treat!


We used a basic recipe from Mary Berrys website but baked it in a loaf tin instead of a cake tin. As I used a loaf tin I decided to do two layers of sliced apples, rather than one. I also added a cinnamon and sugar crust top. 

Here are the ingredients if you fancy having a go.

  • 225g self-raising flour
  • 1 level tsp baking powder
  • 225g caster sugar
  • 2 large eggs
  • ½ tsp almond extract
  • 150g butter, melted
  • 250g cooking apples, peeled and cored
  • 25g flaked almonds

(I left out the flaked almonds and extract, simply because I didn't have any) 

Beat all the ingredients in a bowl and mix it well. In a greased tin, create layers with the mixture and the sliced apples. Sprinkle the almonds on the top, or use a cinnamon and sugar mixture to create a nice crunchy crust instead. 

Bake in the oven at 160o for about 1hr to 1hr 30m, this depends on ur oven. Mine took 1hr 15mins. Check it by putting a skewer through it, when it comes out fairly clean (there may be bits of Apple) it should be ready. 


It tasted lovely and was very easy to make. William enjoyed helping me... Not that you can tell from this picture, he looks a bit confused, perhaps fed up of me taking photos of him. Haha


It was fairly easy to get him involved, by stirring all the ingredients while I chopped the apples. It also meant getting him away from the TV, off the sofa and got him to eat some apple! 

Have a go yourself, and please let me know how you get on!


3 comments:

  1. It looks lovely! Glad that you and William are finding lots of things to do! xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love apple cake and yours and William's looks yummy x

    ReplyDelete
  3. ooo on the list for the Friday bake - glad you missed out the almonds - they are not one of my fav ingredients, apple cake with cinnamon and sugar topping certainly is tho'......

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear your comments so keep 'em coming!! Feel free to post links to your own blogs if you think i'll like them too!