Wednesday, 28 May 2014

Bab al shams desert resort and spa, Dubai

This weekend hubby and I celebrated our 5th wedding anniversary. 5 whole years! I can't believe how quickly time is going, the last year has been an especially exciting one! Moving from a sleepy town in Devon UK to the bustling city of Dubai in the UAE. We decided to have a night away in a hotel as a special treat. It has been a tough few months so we were all in need of some spoiling. So hubby booked Bab Al Shams, a spa resort in the middle of the desert. About 40 mins drive from Dubai. 

I'm not really sure how I want this post to go really... I keep toying with just posting some gorgeous photos and let them speak for themselves, or writing about every single amazing detail of our time there. I guess I will try for something in between...

The resort was truly a paradise oasis in the middle of the desert. It felt like such a treat being there and I had to keep pinching myself. It is the poshest place I have ever stayed I think and they definitely made you feel like a VIP! 







Beautiful, tranquil pools... 3 to be exact. We spent two full days at Bab Al Shams so made the most of these pools. We have been told to take William swimming a lot to help his recovery after his broken leg, so there was no problem here! It is pretty hot here in Dubai now, around 40oc so we were in and out of the pools all day. 


It was very quiet in the resort, and there were a few families there with the kids all enjoying themselves. It was very peaceful, with noise of birds tweeting and fountains trickling into the pools. There were really nice little touches throughout the stay that reminded you that you were at a 5 star resort, bringing round fruit skewers and ice lollies to munch on by the pool, waited on for drinks and snacks etc. we had a couple of lunches from the pool bar which they brought to your sun loungers to enjoy. The food was nice and the fruit juices were lovely. Drinks were a tad expensive but I suppose most hotels are. 


Our room was fab, beautifully decorated in a traditional Arabic fort style. The bathroom was gorgeous and even though I had already had two showers that day, I couldn't resist a relaxing soak in the huge tub! 


William and hubby enjoyed their first camel ride together in the desert and we got to meet some falcons! 


(Yes they did actually move, haha, this was taken just before the camel got up)


The roof top lounge was a perfect setting to have some pre dinner drinks and enjoy the sunset over the desert. 


We had dinner at Le Dune, the Italian restaurant and sat on the terrace outside. There are about 4 restaurants to choose from. Our first choice would have been Masala the Indian restaurant but it was closed that evening. The pasta we had in Le Dune was lovely, well cooked and tasty sauces. William enjoyed it too, although he was so tired after a day of swimming and playing that he promptly fell asleep after dinner on the sofas. The staff were lovely with him and service was pretty good. 

The staff also left this little surprise in our room for us upon our return after dinner. It was soooo nice. If you know me, you know I love chocolate! So this was right up my street! Really light mouse and sponge, a thoughtful touch. 


The breakfast in the morning was great too. (I seriously can't find anything to complain about or find any negatives, not that I want to! But I loved everything about this place!) there was a huge selection for breakfast, full English, omelet, pancake and waffle stations, fruits, yogurts, mueslis and cereals, pastries and donuts... We definitely ate our fill! Including William! 



We had such a fantastic weekend, I can't rave about it enough. The staff and surroundings made us feel so special and it was all the more enjoyable having our little boy able to join in with us and splash about in the pool! We did consider going on our own, but he just made us smile and laugh all weekend! His speech continues to improve and he comes out with the funniest sayings sometimes! It was pure quality family time! 

Would I go back? I think that answer is obvious!!!













5 comments:

  1. That is the best blog post I have read in ages. It has made me so happy just hearing about your wonderful time.... And my goodness you all so deserved it! X x x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely to read your blog Char... Sounded out of this world... Pictures looked great..!! So pleased to see you all enjoying your treat and the Gorgeous William so happy and free again... Lots of love Lindsay...
    Ps Will looked great in his little shirt. Xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations on your anniversary!! I wish you many many more happy years together. It looks as though you had a wonderful time, your pictures are amazing. What a wonderful place to stay. I am so glad that William was out of his cast in time to go and that you could all make the most of the facilities. It sounds fabulous! Thank you for sharing this special time with us. xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! Congratulations! Glad you've still kept it all going on. Strong and steady. Spas are really an ideal way to put your feet up and relax about. Gives you that perspective to look at the big picture and see where you're at. Whether it's the break from usual scenery or the mesmerizing comfort, there's nothing quite like that experience, wherever you may find it.

    Lilia Valle @ La Fleur de Beaute

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was looking for articles on spa experience in Dubai and I came across yours inspiring read. Though you topic was not exactly based on spa but it definitely highlighted some the spa feel. Unquestionably already mentioned in to-do-list of my next trip.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear your comments so keep 'em coming!! Feel free to post links to your own blogs if you think i'll like them too!