Wednesday, 3 December 2014

'I' week- back to school

Whoa... Apologies for the short post for 'i' week! We have been so busy recently and to be honest my mind seemed to come up empty when trying to think of letter I activities. However, here are a couple of the things we did and some other ideas for you!

I for iguana 

Introducing William to the shape of the letter I, we created this collage. Adding spikes and eyes to turn it into an iguana. Thanks to 'a little pinch of perfect' for this idea! I'm not sure what the red lines coming out of his mouth are all about... You'd have to ask William that!


You may have noticed that there are a couple of 'I' letters on the page too. William does seem to enjoy copying the letters when I write them, and has even done a few sheets now where he copies the letters made out of dots. I printed a set off the internet, sorry can't remember the link now but there are loads of them out there. He only seems to want to do it if it's his idea though! So I cleverly leave the letter page out on the table for a while and he often finds his way to it at some point in the week! 

I is for Icecream

I imagine most people like ice cream. I know I do... Cookies and cream, caramel and praline, good old brownie chocolate chip... I'm not fussy. (Note to self, buy ice cream at next available opportunity). 

William loves gluing and sticking.... And glitter! So cue another collage of colourful papers he can stick down. This activity promoted discussions about lots of things, favourite flavours, colours, counting the scoops of ice cream, shapes of the papers etc. you could number the pieces of paper so that kids can glue the, down in number order too. I think I might try that next time we do an activity like this.


We also had a go at making our own healthy ice cream. We blended up some strawberries and plain yogurt with a sprinkle of sugar then put it in the freezer. Unfortunately we didn't have many berries left and I think it would have been nicer with more fruit in it. But its a good way of getting fruit into little ones who think they are having a treat. 

Other letter I ideas

Indigo - Go in search of any items you can find in the house that are indigo coloured. Cover a page in indigo coloured paints, crayons and crafty bits. If your children are a little older, maybe try tye dying some fabric this colour?

Inventions - Possible another one for older children, read about inventions! I have seen some great books at the library and when William is a little older I'm sure we will get more books on this kind of non-fiction topic. If you don't have a local library to go to, just try the Internet. I often just search on you tube for clips for William to watch. 

Ink - Stamping with inks always goes down well with William. You can get some gorgeous sets now, I like the Melissa and Doug ones. Alternatively, just buy some inks and make your own stamps using potatoes and sponges etc.  (why is it now, when I am sat writing this post, am I thinking of all these things and not when I actually wanted to do them?!)

Well that about does it for now. I hope you are enjoying the lead up to Christmas. We have been busily crafting away and preparing for our trip back to the UK to visit our families. I love the weather here in Dubai, it's lovely here at the moment, dare I say it, even a little chilly in the evenings when your out. So I will miss that, but also look forward to wrapping up warm, log fires, and misty walks to the country pub!





No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear your comments so keep 'em coming!! Feel free to post links to your own blogs if you think i'll like them too!