Wednesday, 25 February 2015

Al souk, fishing harbour

I have just got back home after finding a gorgeous new spot by the sea here in Dubai. It is called the fishing harbour in umm suqueim and is located just down the road from the famous Burj Al Arab and Jumeriah Beach Hotel. 


It is a beautiful, secluded fishing harbour with gorgeous boats to ogle over. It's been a beautiful day today, with the sun shining a really pleasant temperature in the mid twenties and we had a slight breeze coming from the sea. Perfect for watching the boats and jet skies coming in and out. 

The area has been newly refurbished. The work began in 2008 but has only been completed within the last year. It features some nice looking cafes and restaurants with outdoor seating overlooking the harbour. We decided to stop for some lunch and chose Pizzaro restaurant at the end. The service was fab and the food was delicious. We simply had a pizza and salad to share and the prices were reasonable. It was very quiet today (mid week, around 1.30pm), and the waiter said it sometimes gets busier at the weekends. 



I get the impression this is a hidden gem in dubai at the moment as not many people seemed to know about it. I thought it was the perfect place to stop for a quiet lunch or dinner in the week and I would be interested to see what it's like over the weekend. I imagine it's nice in the evening too. I have heard the burger cafe "Meat me there" has been recommended too. 



I took my 3 year old son William and he thoroughly enjoyed it. I think he ate just as much pizza as me! He was very welcome at the restaurant and the waiters were lovely to him. Some of the outdoor seating can be very close to the rocks and the waters edge so you might want to watch out for little ones there. William enjoyed looking at the boats as we had a walk along the short jetty and was happy waving to all the people on the boats. 


It was calm and serene; a lovely place to just chill and catch up with friends or family. There is a small amount of parking outside but I spotted an underground car park there too. On the other side of the harbour wall is a nice section of beach too. Sorry, I don't know the name of it. There is also umm suqueim park nearby. I think next time I go, we may spend some time at the beach first then pop to the harbour for lunch again. 

My parents who are still visiting, really enjoyed it too. It was nice to relax by the sea with the sound of the water lapping around the harbour rocks. A tranquil break from the busy bustling city of Dubai. 


You can reach the fishing harbour via the beach road in the umm suqueim area. I followed signs for umm suqueim 2. The fishing harbour has a large wall along the roads edge which has big letters identifying it. I entered the gates for the outside parking but there was underground parking about 100 meters further down (going in the direction of dubai). Sorry if this makes no sense, I'm not great at directions. But here is a map! 



 


 


2 comments:

  1. Looks lovely and we will love to go and test it out when we come xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks lovely, we keep meaning to go back that way but keep forgetting!! The plan was to do date night down there at one point, shame date night has been pushed back and back!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear your comments so keep 'em coming!! Feel free to post links to your own blogs if you think i'll like them too!