Tuesday, 10 March 2015

Does your child have lachanophobia???


Ok, so to say my child has lachanophobia (a fear/phobia of vegetables) is a bit extreme. Like most parents out there, I am trying my best to make sure my son has a balanced diet, but this has become a bit taxing in the last year as he seems to have decided he will not eat any vegetables or fruits. When he sees vegetables in his dinner he calls them "yukky bits". He will eat some fruits and veg, mainly dried fruits like apricots and raisins, bananas and sometimes potatoes but that's about it.

William is a brilliant eater in many ways, he eats a lot, sits at the dinner table for all meals and behaves well. His favourites are meats and pasta. Perhaps he should be living in Italy, he would get on alright there! 

An English breakfast goes down well too!


Until now!

Hubby and I are on a mission to get William to TRY new foods, mainly fruit and veg. Hubby used his photoshop skills to make William a reward chart. Styled as a pirates treasure map, as that's what he is into at the moment. There are ten stars, and each time William tries a new food, he gains a sticker which will eventually reward him with a prize. We recently bought some nice wooden toys online at a crazy reduced price so decided these could be his incentive. The chart is placed on the fridge so he can see it whenever he's in the kitchen.


As you can see, he has earns some stickers already! So far, he tried a bit of cooked red pepper (didn't like it, gagged slightly), sardines on toast (loved it, asked for more), cauliflower (in the form of a cheesy cauliflower bread), broccoli (hidden in macaroni cheese) and a sesame seed bar. Most of the things he tried he enjoyed, although some of the veg like the broccoli and cauliflower was kinda hidden. 

So far, William is not too keen to try things on their own, like a piece of fruit or veg, but if they are broken down small enough (I blended the cauliflower and broccoli into tiny chunks) and presented in a different way, he would try it. Soon I will post a list of the recipes I have used so far. 


It's a mixed result so far, but I have been a little lenient so that he has a chance to get some stickers to feel successful and get going with the idea. As I write this, we are waiting for our pumpkin oat muffins to cook. I'm not too worried if he genuinely doesn't like the taste of some of the foods, let's face it as adults we dislike things too. But I just want him to TRY them, to consider them before writing them off completely.

Have you had picky eaters? How do/did you cope with it? I'm trying a mixture of encouraging to try foods in their raw form and trying them mixed and hidden in more appealing ways. If you have any tips or experiences I would be really interested to hear them!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear your comments so keep 'em coming!! Feel free to post links to your own blogs if you think i'll like them too!