Friday, 13 March 2015

Sneaky hidden fruit and veg recipes for kids

I posted recently about my mission to get more fruit and vegetables into my son William. You can see my post here. As a baby he used to eat pretty much anything, but now he is 3 years old he seems to have changed his mind! So here are a few of the recipes I have tried so far, in a bid to hide some fruit and veg. I have included the link to the original recipe where I can, most were found via Pinterest. If you would like to follow me on Pinterest for more ideas, just click on the link in the side bar.


Mac and cheese with added broccoli and cauliflower

I followed the recipe in the link above and added one cup each of cauliflower and broccoli. I cooked the veg in the microwave in a little water, drained it then blitzed it in a blender so it turned into tiny pieces before adding it to the Mac and cheese. Really quick to make and is now going to be my go to recipe for me and William when hubby is out or we need a tasty lunch.



Fairly easy to make although I must say mine were no way as solid as the pictures in the recipe. Mine were a tad sloppy (as you can see in the picture, they crumbled a bit) and a little hard to handle. Saying that, William and I both thought they were yummy. Maybe next time I need to squease any water out of the broccoli once it's cooked. We ate ours with some tomato soup.



I had a marathon cooking session one day this week and made a crazy amount of these nuggets. Good thing is they freeze well. They are packed with veg, which you can choose depending on what's in your fridge at the time, and also features lentils and rice. It's almost a whole balanced meal just in nuggets! I have bagged these up in the freezer so I can grab a few when I need a quick meal or snack for William. (Sorry no picture, after cooking for about 4 hours I frankly couldn't be bothered and had given up the will to live). 



You can't really go too wrong with chocolate chip cookies. These are made with mashed banana and there are tons of recipes like it online. 



This has got to be my favourite. I mean... Look at all that chocolate! Ok, so it's not the healthiest cake but it does have a fair amount of mashed banana in it. We all need a treat every now and then! This went down well with friends too, we had it with Icecream for a desert. 



Again, there are lots of ways of adding fruit to pancakes. Just simply add your favourite to pancake mix. Maybe mashed bananas or fruit purees like apple, blueberry, strawberries etc. I've even seen some spinach ones recently!



William enjoyed making these with me. They are so easy it's ridiculous. If you don't fancy mango, switch it for another fruit you like! 


You can probably tell, we love our sweet treats. It's great to have a little something on hand when we have Williams friends round (and mine, to go with our coffee!). I have been busy "pinning" away on Pinterest for some more hidden fruit and veg recipes to try for William and will be trying some more savoury options too. 

If you have any tips, recipes or experiences, please leave a comment below! They may just keep me going!


1 comment:

  1. Oh I read about clean pancakes that are literally mashed banana and egg!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear your comments so keep 'em coming!! Feel free to post links to your own blogs if you think i'll like them too!