Thursday, 25 June 2015

Birthday girl skirts!

I am attempting to be mega organised! We are travelling back to the UK soon to visit family and escape the searing heat here in Dubai. I have two beautiful nieces who have birthdays in december, and as we won't be back in the UK this time for it, I thought I better try and get myself together and at least sort out part of their presents!
 
So here is the first gift...
 
 
Each year I try my best to give my nieces and nephews a little something that is handmade for their birthdays. This year I have made them these cute little skirts. The pattern is very easy, just one piece of fabric, a few lines of stitching, an hour later and voila! ( of course, if my nieces ask, tell them they took ages!)
 
 
It's a very quick little skirt to whip up but I think it looks really cute. All you need is some fabric, length of elastic and thread. Here's how to do it!
 

 

1) I cut a strip of fabric that was about 16" long and the whole width of the fabric from selvage to selvage which I think was approximately 45". These skirts are to fit a 5 year old and I checked the waist and length measurements online.
 
2) Fold it in half with right sides together and Sew the raw edges of the side together. Finish the edges with a serger or zigzag stitch.
 
3) Finish the top waist edge with a server or zig zag stitch. Then fold the waist edge over by about 1.5cm and sew, making sure your channel is big enough to fit your elastic into. Leave a gap of about 2cm between where you start and finish, this is the gap to thread the elastic through.
 
4) Cut a piece of elastic so that it is long enough to comfortably fit around your little girls waist, Adding two centimetres so you can join the ends together, I made mine approximately 23". Attach a safety pin to your piece of elastic and thread it through the gap you have just made, taking it all through the channel and out at the beginning again. Don't forget to keep an eye on the end of your elastic so it doesn't disappear into the channel. Pull the two ends out a little and sew them together with a couple of stitches. You can sew up the gap if you wish, but I like to leave mine open so that the elastic can be adjusted if it needs to be.
 
5) Hem the bottom edge of the skirt by folding it over twice and sewing. While pinning the hem, I chose to pin on a length of ribbon to it at the same time. This is optional, you can leave it plain if you like, or even jazz it up more with some more exciting ribbon or edging.
 
 
 
And there you go! A cute little skirt, perfect for kids to run about in, all made using 5 steps and about an hour of your time! I love the little flowery patterned fabric, it's really pretty for little girls and being cotton they should wash well. The pattern is so simple that you can play around with it all you like. Here's some other options you could do.
 
- Make it a layered skirt by adding one or two more laters of fabric, each with a shorter length.
- Add some more volume by cutting a wider width of fabric, or sewing two pieces together, that way it will gather up more.
- Add a belt by cutting a long thin piece of fabric, folding it in half and sewing the long edges together, turn it through the right way and finish the short ends. Tie is in a big bow at the front or back.
 
I added a label to the inside at the back seam which makes it look a bit more professional.
 

 

Have a go at these super cute and easy skirts and please send me a photo or link to them!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear your comments so keep 'em coming!! Feel free to post links to your own blogs if you think i'll like them too!