Thursday, 11 June 2015

Special gift with a handmade touch!

If you've read my blog before, you will know I am a huge fan of homemade and handmade gifts! My projects on the go at the moment are some handmade sewn gifts for my nieces. I also make and sell crochet blankets and baby goodies. 

This week it was my chance to have something made though. I saw this great idea online for decorated candles. With my parents anniversary coming up, I knew it was something that my mum would love. Since living abroad it has made me appreciate different cultures more and often try to find gifts that are from the Middle Eastern Region we now live in. So a henna embellished candle looked awesome! 


One thing I love about living in a community here in Dubai is that we are surrounded by lots of talented people from different nationalities. I posted a simple request on our community Facebook page for someone that could decorate some candles for me using henna designs and was surprised at how quickly I had responses! 


I met the lovely Samar later that day. Samar's family is from Jordan but she was born in Dubai. She is 25 years old, a stay at home mum and her son Rashed is just 11 months old. Samar loves anything related to art and that is why she chose to study architecture. She started practicing henna when she was in the 8th grade, practicing on paper and her little cousins. Samar and her family will be moving on to Saudi Arabia soon, so if you like her work, please get in touch with her soon before she leaves! 


Samar got the candles back to me in less than a week, and what she has done to them is fantastic! I picked these candles up from a supermarket, just plain, simple ones. The henna designs she has created are gorgeous! She tried to match the designs on the candles too so they looked like a set. She even customised them by writing my mum and dads name on one of them in Arabic, wrapped them up in some cellophane and finished them off with a simple ribbon.



I am so pleased with them and they make such a great present! These will be tucked away in my suitcase, ready to be gifted to my mum and dad in a few weeks. Thank you so much Samar for a wonderful job! 


2 comments:

  1. Oh wow, what a really thoughtful beautiful gift! I struggle to come up with unique gift ideas that are thoughtful.. I'll be stalking your page from now on ;) xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I have seen some candles on Pinterest where you can decorate them with your own design but am yet to give it a try. Thanks for popping by!

      Delete

I love to hear your comments so keep 'em coming!! Feel free to post links to your own blogs if you think i'll like them too!