Wednesday, 29 July 2015

Are you busy creating memories for your kids?

With just 4 days until we begin our little family holiday in Italy, I've started thinking about the places we will go and things to see. I booked some train tickets today and it got me contemplating our Tuscan adventure. Will William like it? Will it be too much walking and travelling? Will he be interested in the sights like the colosseum, fountain de trevi, the leaning tower or Pisa? 

As we live away from our family, we have been trying to make sure we do exciting things with them over the summer while we are visiting. Attempting to create memories for him, spending quality time with family. Williams grandma often says, "I wonder if this will be his first memory?!"


I'm starting to wonder whether there is too much pressure on us to create these magnificent experiences, holidays and elaborate birthday parties.

William has been on a few holidays with us now. He's no stranger to staying in different hotel rooms, weekend breaks and long haul flights. Also while living in Dubai he has experienced quite a lot, simply due to the nature of the lifestyle there. 

I'm not saying we shouldn't try to do new, exciting things with our children or to not bother entertaining them. Just that, when you think back to your own childhood, what do you remember the most? I remember climbing the tree house my brother built, riding my bike to the local park, making dens out of the garden chairs, and sliding down the snow covered field in the winter on an old baking tray. 

Sometimes, the best moments in life are simple, unplanned, spontaneous. 

While staying with Williams grandma, we took a walk down the lane to play pooh sticks over the little stream. When I told him it was time to go back, he said to me... "But I don't want to go yet, I'm just having so much fun!" 


A simple thing like playing pooh sticks with his mum and grandma, may be one of the memories he has of this summers holiday. Something he remembers forever - his grandma, staying at her house, digging around in the woods for sticks, breathing in fresh country air... the quality time he had playing with us. 

Tomorrow we are going crabbing. Grandad and grandma will walk down to the quay with us. We will patiently wait for the crabs, taking in the scenery, watching the boats. 

When we make our journey to Italy, I don't think I will be busting a gut to get to ALL the attractions, going on tours or constantly looking for child friendly entertainment options. I will be concentrating on meandering the streets, people watching, chatting to William about the Italians and their culture, eating nice food and most definitely an ice cream or two! 


What are your favourite childhood memories? 

What do you think your children would say?


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear your comments so keep 'em coming!! Feel free to post links to your own blogs if you think i'll like them too!