Tuesday, 14 July 2015

Letter games for kids

I'm a little bit sad... we have come to the end of our weekly alphabet activities. But I thought I would show you a few games we made up based on learning letters. Bare with me... Most were made up on the spur of the moment when we needed something to do! I'm sure there are tons of other ideas out there, these are a few ones that are realistic, easy to prepare for busy mums!
 
Popsicle letter building
 
Here we used Popsicles to make letter shapes, but you can obviously use anything you have to hand. It would work equally as well with pasta shapes, building blocks, small toys, etc. I had some letter cards which I chose at random for William to copy. You could make your own or simply write letters on some paper for your little one to copy.
 
 
We have done this many times before throughout our letter weeks, by using building blocks to build up letters on top of a template that I had drawn for William. This is super super easy and I was kind of surprised at how much he enjoyed doing this and how many times he wanted to keep doing it!
 

Magic messages!


William also had fun with this easy painting activity. I used a wax crayon to write letters onto a piece of paper, then called out letters for him to paint over with water colour paint. It works best with a white wax crayon, as then when you paint over them, the letter or words are revealed like magic! I used a pale yellow crayon just so that William could see the letters better to help him find them.
 
This painting activity can be easily modified to fit whatever theme you are doing. E.g. Spellings, words, punctuation, or you could make it easier for younger children by drawing simple images for them to find like shapes or animals.
 

 

Line up letters
 
Williams grandma found him this simple letter puzzle and we have used it many times in different ways during our letter of the week series. This time, we simply started by completing the puzzle. If you don't have one of these, you can easily buy wooden or plastic letters to put in order, trace around, use with play dough etc.
 

 

I wrote out all the letters of the alphabet onto small pieces of paper, muddled them up and helped William to lay them out in a line in the correct order. He is only 3 so did struggle with this a bit. He manages to recognise most of the letters but we had to keep singing the alphabet song to work out which one came next in the line.
 

 

 

We then used the wooden letters from his puzzle to match the paper ones he had lined up. You can probably tell that each step we took was kind of made up on the spot and although it seems very dimple, William took his time and was meticulous about lining the papers up straight. As we got to each letter we both made the sounds and I gave him hints about what words begin with that letter.
 
You could then go on to search your house for things that begin with each letter and blue tack the correct paper to them. 'D' on a door, 'w' on a window, 'b' on a bed etc. Good luck with x and z!
 

 

Letter hunt and matching
 
This carries on from my last idea really... I selected two letters and wrote them on pieces of paper. I then ran around trying to find items that began with the letters I had chosen. If your child is older they could do this too! I then gave William all the objects and we went through each one making the sound it makes and deciding which letter it belonged to.
 
(Please excuse his half nakedness... It was pretty hot when we were doing this!)
 

 

 

 

As one of the items we had were coins, this developed onto another game similar to what I began the post with, of using items to make letter shapes.
 

 

 

 

So there you have it, our random letter games and activities that you can set up in minutes! I do hope you give some a go with your little ones. As always, let me know how you get on! If you missed my letter of the week series, have a flick back through them using the Kids activities tab at the top or by clicking here.
 
 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear your comments so keep 'em coming!! Feel free to post links to your own blogs if you think i'll like them too!