Sunday, 27 September 2015

Healthy Chicken meatballs with hidden veg

I really struggle to get my little one to eat veg, so when I came across some homemade hidden veg chicken nugget recipes on Pinterest I was keen to give them a go.

This time, I opted for using basically the same recipe, but turning them into meatballs instead. My son loves meatballs and pasta, so i thought they would be a quick and easy dinner to do him on school nights. Once they have been cooked, they can be frozen and simply defrosted and heated up when you need them. Sometime soon I will look into making a hidden veg tomato sauce that I can freeze in small one portion pots too.


The recipe is super easy! If you can get your little ones involved in making them too then that's a  bonus! The amount of each ingredient you use is not particularly important and neither is the veg you use. This is just a rough guide of what I happened to use this time round.

You will need

Chicken mince (I used one 500g pack. You can use any kind of meat you like.)
2 cups of finely chopped/grated veg (I used grated carrots, tiny chopped peppers, onions and broccoli)
Salt and Pepper
1 or 2 eggs (depends on the amount of mince and veg you use, helps to bind the ingredients together)

Optional Extras

1 tbl spoon Chia Seeds
1/2 - 1 cup lentils or cooked rice

To make

Super easy! Just mix all the ingredients together in a large bowl. Make sure you have enough egg in the mixture so that it sticks together. Use your hands to roll small amounts of the mixture into balls.

You can either fry the meatballs in a little oil (try coconut for something a little healthier) or bake them in the oven.

Its just that quick and easy. Once the meatballs have cooled you can bag them up and pop them in the freezer.


To add a personal note... my son is crazy fussy with veg, if he sees it in his meal, he wont eat it. I did find the chicken meatballs quite pale and therefor the colourful veg did stand out to him, as long as they were covered in a tomato sauce he didn't notice it though. If you are planning on using them as nuggets, try coating them in crushed corn flakes or breadcrumbs.

Bellisimo!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear your comments so keep 'em coming!! Feel free to post links to your own blogs if you think i'll like them too!